Knowledgebase Index and Quick Search
Pin Resetting and Changing the Ethernet Address of the FastPath (659499-PV96)
Product: FastPath 5 v1.0
3rd Party Product(s): ||
Release Date: Pending|
This document describes pin resetting and changing the Ethernet address of the FastPath device.
This document is intended for FastPath administrators who want to use the FastPath Manager or Shiva(R) Net Manager to change the Ethernet address of a FastPath device. This document contains 2 procedures for changing the Ethernet address; the procedure you use depends on which network management application you are using, Shiva Net Manager or FastPath Manager.
Note: The FastPath 5 and FastPath 5R devices are referred to as the "FastPath" throughout this document.
When the FastPath starts up, the PROM checks the Ethernet address that is stored in protected memory. If the address has been corrupted, the FastPath uses the default address of 00-80-D3-FF-00-FF. After the PROM checks the Ethernet address, K-STAR checks the Ethernet address. If K-STAR detects a corrupted address, the FastPath uses the default address of 0-80-D3-FF-00-FE. If any one of these 2 Ethernet addresses are in the FastPath, the Ethernet address text field in both Shiva Net Manager and FastPath Manager is editable when the FastPath is in VROM downloader mode.
Note: Only use these procedures to restore the correct Ethernet address to a FastPath that has lost its original address. These procedures must be performed on a properly terminated 2-node LocalTalk* network consisting of a Macintosh* and the FastPath. Refer to Knowledgebase article "Creating a 2-Node LocalTalk* Network" for more information on how to set up a 2-node LocalTalk network.
Using Shiva Net Manager
To change the Ethernet address with Shiva Net Manager:
1. Open the Shiva Net Manager application.
2. Select the zone in the Zone list.
3. Select the FastPath device in the Device Types list.
4. Double-click on the FastPath name in the Devices window to open the FastPath's configuration.
Note: The last 6 letters of the FastPath's name are its Ethernet address. After losing its Ethernet address, the FastPath assumes the default Ethernet address of 00-80-D3-FF-00-FF or 00-80-D3-FF-00-FE. You can edit this address in Shiva Net Manager.
Note: If you cannot communicate with the FastPath through Shiva Net Manager (that is, you do not see the FastPath name in the Name list), you must pin reset the FastPath as described in the "Pin Resetting the FastPath into ROM Downloader Mode" section.
5. Place the FastPath into VROM downloader mode by holding down the Command and Option keys and double-clicking the FastPath name in the configuration window.
6. Click Continue when Shiva Net Manager asks you to confirm placing the FastPath into VROM downloader mode.
7. Double-click the FastPath name in the Devices window.
A FastPath configuration window opens.
8. Locate the Ethernet Address editable text field.
9. Replace the last 6 characters of the Ethernet address with the Ethernet address on the bottom of the FastPath unit. Be sure to enter the correct Ethernet number for the FastPath. If you enter the wrong Ethernet address for the FastPath and get a duplicate Ethernet address, serious network problems could result.
10. Confirm that the Ethernet address you enter matches the Ethernet address on the bottom of the FastPath unit.
Note: Once you enter this Ethernet address and select the Set Configuration and "Go" command, you cannot change this number again without repeating this procedure.
11. Select the Set Configuration & "Go" command in the FastPath menu.
12. Exit Shiva Net Manager.
After entering your Ethernet address, continue with the ""Downloading VROM and K-STAR" section of the FastPath 5 Administrator's Guide to download the VROM and K-STAR image.
Pin Resetting the FastPath into VROM Downloader Mode
Follow the steps in this section to put the FastPath into VROM downloader mode. The procedure is the same for the FastPath 5 unit.
1. Turn off power to the FastPath.
2. Locate the pin reset hole for the FastPath you are resetting.
3. Insert a straightened paper clip into the pin reset hole (the reset switch is about 1/2" inside the hole). You will feel the reset switch click (or stop) when you insert the paper clip. Hold the paper clip firmly in this position.
4. While still holding the paper clip on the reset switch, press the appropriate unit enable button for that unit, or in the FastPath brick, turn the power switch on.
5. Wait 5 seconds and then remove the paper clip. The FastPath lights on the front of the FastPath go through the normal self-test sequence and then the power light starts flashing yellow. After the FastPath finishes the self-test sequence and the power light flashes yellow, the FastPath is in VROM downloader mode. Proceed to the "Changing the Ethernet Address Using the FastPath Manager" section.
Changing the Ethernet Address Using the FastPath Manager
This section is intended for FastPath administrators who want to use the FastPath Manager to change the Ethernet address of a FastPath.
To change your FastPath Ethernet address with FastPath Manager:
1. Launch the FastPath Manager.
The FastPath appears in the Gateways window with its Ethernet address as its name.
2. Hold down the Option key and click Open.
3. Click OK when FastPath Manager displays the message informing you that the Ethernet address is bad.
4. Press the tab key 5 times to move the cursor to the Ethernet Address field or use your mouse to move your cursor to the Ethernet Address field.
5. Press the delete key to remove any information that is in the Ethernet address field.
6. Enter the last 3 bytes of the correct Ethernet address. Double check to ensure that the address that you have entered matches the address on the FastPath unit.
7. Click Go.
8. Quit the FastPath Manager.
9. Power off the FastPath and wait 1 minute.
10. Turn the FastPath back on and wait for the LEDs to stabilize.
11. Launch the FastPath Manager.The FastPath appears in the Gateways window with its correct Ethernet address.
12. Click Open to verify that the correct Ethernet address has been restored to the FastPath. Continue with the "Downloading VROM and K-STAR" section of the FastPath 5 Administrator's Guide to download the VROM and K-STAR image.
The contents of this document have not been technically reviewed by Shiva, please use this information at your own risk.
This information is supplied without representation or warranty of any kind. Shiva Corporation assumes no responsibility and shall have no liability of any kind arising from supply or use of this material.
The information contained herein is proprietary to Shiva Corporation and/or its vendors, and its use or disclosure is subject to the restrictions stated in the standard Shiva Corporation license terms and conditions or the appropriate third-party sublicense agreement.
| Search | Site Map | Contact Us | Home |